About Artisan Accounts

Where are you based?

We are based in leafy East Sheen. We’re a five minute walk from Mortlake train station. If you fancy it, you’ll be spoilt for coffee shops along the walk up or down from us!

Who do you help?

We specialise in creative industries and we work with a diverse group of ambitious, growing businesses from across that vast sector.

From video creation to fashion design, architects to interior designers, fashion photographers to property photographers, e-commerce entrepreneurs to Influencers, VFX companies to film support, large scale film studios to boutique vineyards, game developers to designers, tech research to beauty lines and publishers from hair design to textiles. We could go on… if you see yourself in that abbreviated list, we’ve got you.

If you don’t… ooh, we love a challenge!

Will I need to meet you?/What happens in our first meeting?

If we can meet in person, great, if that’s not possible we are happy to meet online or over the telephone.

Before our meeting, we’ll ask you to fill in an online form that provides us with some basic information about your company. This allows us to make the most of our time together in the meeting.

Our first meeting is really all about you. We want to hear about your business and your needs. We’ll have an informal chat about your business history, where it’s at now and most importantly where you want it to be in the next 1 to 5 years. After that we’ll consider what you’ve told us and work up a proposal specific to your business, which we can discuss further and hopefully agree on. We’re ambitious for you and ourselves, we want your business to thrive and grow and we work best with clients who share our ethos.

Is it easy to change accountants?

Changing accountants is easier than most people think. Before leaving your old accountant you should:

  1. Research accountants and decide who you would like to switch to
  2. Upon agreement your new accountant will send you a letter of engagement
  3. Inform your old accountant you are leaving and settle any debts. Let them know who you are moving to so they can expect to hear from them.
  4. Once you have signed your letter of engagement, your new accountant can reach out to your old one to transfer your information
  5. You’re done!
Will I always speak to the same person?

We offer a personal service at Artisan Accounts and you will be assigned a client manager who will be your point of contact for your specific needs.

Occasionally, other members of our team will reach out with important reminders or requesting information specific to their department e.g.payroll, VAT.

If your main contact is away for any reason, there will always be someone who can help with emergencies and you will always have access to each of our team members’ particular expertises, should you need it.

Have a look at who we are!

Do we need to be based locally to work with you?

No, not at all. We work with businesses around the country and abroad!

Do you have a company dog?

Good question! We have three pooches in the Artisan family. Harvey, Darwin and Kiki. They’re not always in, but can make guest appearances upon request. We have clients who really appreciate the calming effect of our furry friends!

Did we say calming? Sometimes they’re a bit more energising than calming!!

How we can help you

Do you offer bookkeeping?

Yes we do. You can find out more about our bookkeeping services here.

I want to do my own bookkeeping, will you do the rest?

We work with clients who historically do their own bookkeeping, so the short answer is yes.

The long answer is we’re certain we can save you time and money if we do them for you.

Are you able to look after our payroll?

Yes, our payroll specialists can handle all aspects of payroll, including pension contributions, salary sacrifice and benefits in kind.

Can you help us automate our invoicing and accounts?

Oh, yes that’s one of our expertises. We’ve been leaders in digital or cloud accounting for over a decade now. Primarily we work in Xero, but we utilise a number of apps to supplement this where required. Take a look at our App Stack page.

We need help with our business plan. Can you help?

Your business plan is one of the most important tools in your arsenal. We’ve worked with many clients to help develop their plan, hold them to account and track their progress.

We’re ambitious for you and will challenge you to raise your expectations while keeping your feet firmly on the ground.

I want to grow my business, can you help?

Oh yes! Yes we can!  We love helping businesses grow and develop, it’s literally why we get out of bed in the morning.  We can work with you to do that, by getting to know your business well; its problems and hurdles, as well as its strengths and hidden potential.

Using this information, combined with a clear understanding of your goals, we collaborate with our clients achieve those goals, by breaking down a step by step plan that capitalises on those identified strengths and fortifies those weaknesses, provides clear benchmarks and evolves as your business does.  Get in touch with us now and we’ll get going!

Common FAQs

Can we get Small Business Rates Relief?

Some people are confused about the £10,000 grant, which seems to be linked to claiming Small Business Rates Relief. This Relief is something you apply for once (to your local Council) and then it may be rolled over automatically.

Serviced Offices and similar facilities usually charge an inclusive rent (that includes rates), in which case it seems you won’t benefit from the government grant – but details have not been announced so let’s wait and see.

If you don’t know whether you are entitled to this relief, you can:

  • ask your landlord who pays the rates
    ask the Council who pays the rates
  • check the rateable value online
    Rateable values are in the public domain – you can look up any business address: https://www.gov.uk/correct-your-business-rates

There are some additional conditions but generally if the rateable value is less than £15,000 and it’s your only premises, then you should usually be entitled to Small Business Rates Relief.

Should I set up as a sole trader or limited company?

There are a range of factors to consider that are specific to every situation. As your earnings go up it can be more tax efficient to register as a limited company. In addition, sole traders have unlimited liability, so if your business goes into debt you are personally responsible for repayment.

We’ll be happy to advise you on the best route for your business and will be proactive about letting you know when things have changed. You can find our more about company formation here.

How often do we need to file a confirmation statement?

All companies should file a confirmation statement at least once a year. This applies even if your company is dormant or non trading. You’ll find Companies House guidance on confirmation statements here.

Can my limited company pay into my pension

Yes, it can. Get in touch and we’ll advise you on what to do next.

How do we set up auto enrollment?

HMRC has some guidance on auto-enrollment, however, ideally you should seek the advice of an accountant to help you find your best options.

What is a UTR number?

A UTR number is a ten digit code that uniquely identifies your business or personal tax account.

You will need it whenever you are dealing with HMRC about your tax. You can find your UTR number here.

How do I register for VAT? What are the Pros and Cons?

Our guide to VAT tells you all you need to know about registering for VAT. If you still have questions after reading, just drop us a line.

Do I register for VAT?

You do not have to register for VAT until your company has a turnover threshold of £85,000 per year (last update 2019).

However, there can be advantages of registering before that point, get in touch and we can go through those with you.

What is Making Tax Digital (MTD)?

Making Tax Digital (MTD) is a government initiative that requires businesses to use digital records and file the tax and VAT online, using software that is compatible with HMRC. 

What are VAT schemes?

There are various HMRC schemes that are designed to ease registration for small business, such as Flat Rate Scheme, Annual Accounting Scheme or Cash Accounting. Your accountant should always advise you on the best option for your business and whether you qualify for these schemes.

How do I give myself a dividend?

Directors of limited companies can declare dividends if they are in profit. This is because dividends are paid out of profits after paying Corporation Tax. The process is for a Board Meeting to review the company’s financial position and make a decision about whether to pay a dividend and how much.

We don’t want to sound all “accountanty” but they can be complicated and we do recommend you seek advice on the most tax efficient way of going about it.

Should I take a salary or dividends from my business?

This can be straightforward or it can be a complicated issue and depends on many factors, such as whether you have other sources of income, how much profit your business makes etc. It really is one of those subjects you should seek professional advice on.

How much can I earn tax free?

Self employed and salaried individuals are entitled to the same amount of tax free income, which is currently £12,570. Find out more about rates at HMRC or get in touch if you have a specific question.

You may also be entitled to additional tax-free allowances for things such as rent-a-room, interest income, dividends.

Are you ready?
Then let’s begin.

Supported by

Xero Gold partner logo
ACCA logo
ACCA logo
Artisan logo mark png

Subscribe to our newsletter

By submitting your details you agree to receive email marketing from Artisan Accounts and have read and understood our Privacy Notice. You can withdraw your consent or change your preferences at any time by emailing us or by clicking the link at the bottom of every email we send you.

You have Successfully Subscribed!